Sunday, January 13, 2008

saved by michael :)

yesterday i got good news from the mail, better than a love letter, laughs. the court granted my request not to be a part of the jury selection process this time around. this is my second time to be a part in flesh and blood first hand to serve justice in this american court system which btw i have the duty to do now since i became an american citizen. years ago i was one of the 500 people summoned by the court for jury duty, where if you're selected the fate of the accused will be in your hands. and lo and behold after one week of jury selection, while one by one people were dismissed here i was one of the few still left there sitting, meaning I'm going to be one of the 12 people selected by the lawyers most likely to hear the case. and what do you know, the worst thing happened. i was one of the 12 selected indeed to sit down and listen to the case. good grief. the case then was involving the death of a mexican guy and a black guy stand accused of the crime. i am really very very lucky for my mom saved me from the horrors of listening, looking at the crime scene. i have enough of that in my job although mine does not involve violence. so to make the story short, we are about to begin the process and it will be a long case, 6 weeks of listening to the evidence on both sides. and a last call on the presiding judge came. if there is any that he needs to know from us before we proceed. so i raised my hand and i politely requested for 3 days off from my jury duty for my mom will have cataract surgery that week and being a nurse i need to do my duty to the person who brought me into this world first to be fair to her. and the judge excused me totally from the case! wow! what a relief. i can hear sighs from the defense' side. they really want me there i told myself, laughs. my mom saved me then and Michael saved me now. or else i have no way of wiggling myself out of this suffering, for really it is "the" torture for me. so thank God first and foremost. He is looking out for me. now i wonder what do these lawyers see in me that i can be qualified as a juror, laughs. that is the question, for until now that remains the unanswered question on my part. oh well. maybe they see things in me that i don't see. i really don't know, laughs. but if i don't have these impediments i will of course do my part to serve this country which is my country now. of course i will...(^_~)...and yes, you better believe that, laughs. although i wish i'm in the phil. though, for you know, the judge does that kind of job :> so i don't have to do anything :) but really kidding aside, the presence of your own countrymen there listening to a case is the most fair thing that could ever happen to anyone who stands accused of any crime. they listen, see and hear the evidence, not just one person in which case a judge like in the Phil. who can be bought by sums and sums of money. and that's sad for in this case justice is lost and stolen by that glitter of gold. so poor guy, poor juan dela cruz if that is the case. he'll be stepped, put and pinned down by those who have the money. pobre na nga wala pang hustisya kaya double ang sakit diba. sobra at nakakalungkot talaga, if you think about it. but again i am not so sure that this style of serving justice here will work there either, for if a judge can be bought then what more can you expect for an ordinary citizen there? here in the U.S. you can't even buy a cop. even you're a senator if you're caught and stopped driving intoxicated you will get your dues, for cops can't be bought. they'll write you a ticket no qualms and buts about it, laughs. that is how serious they are here, and that is no kidding :) and why, most of their crimes here are solved except for a very few. so that speaks volume on how they are vent on incarcerating the perpetrators, the bad apples that is. so that is one thing that is really good about this country and i like that.