Friday, March 14, 2008

do names matter

i won't pass any judgement in the selection of given names as my mother did to me. most mothers name their children as they please upon birth. i do think about it once in awhile though but i never ever brought it personally to her attention. i complained and questioned it silently and wrote it in my blog recently. my name is not really that bad. it is a title of an opera by Verdi and a made musical by Elton John, so that's why i can claim that my name is tied to music. the meaning of it in baby book names is not bad either= rich, happy, helper= nice isn't it? and she was an Ethiopian princess exiled in Egypt with her king dad, fell in love with a valiant head of the Egyptian army who is also loved by the princess of Egypt. now love triangles are bad. since this man love her than this Egyptian princess where they live, as the story of that opera goes, this man was condemned to death bec. of it and this exiled Ethiopian princess had chosen to die with him and crept unnoticed and lay with him in the coffin and they died buried together alive, the punishment. now that is love even in death. wow i was so unhappy when i found that out. tsk! martyr, sacrifice, true love but unhappy ending who would want that. sad. so now can you blame me if I'm not totally in love with my name? that opera needs to be rewritten but Verdi is dead. gosh! I'm sad, really, bec. of it. why does Verdi has to end it like that? that i thought i would never know until Elham my middle eastern nurse co-worker told me that the story really happened in real life where Verdi's inspiration came from. hearing this made me doubly sad. my name's sake had found true love but a love that's unfulfilled. even how good the music in this opera is, it won't never cheer me up, now that i know that two souls suffered bec. of love, true love that is. well, that is the story of my name that i came to know. so to me my name is a reminder of that sad love story. so do name matters? yes, to me, definitely...
***
music: "the lonely shepherd" by Gheorge Zampir