Friday, August 31, 2007

The Sadness of being a Soldier

Sacrifice is sorely what you are
Lives at stakes, in danger every time
Enemies all around ready to fight

To maimed, to behead, to take your life

Bravery, courage and faith in God
In your pocket is what resides
Families at home with broken hearts

Anxious unhappy but totally proud

Is it worth the sweat, the bitter tears

Of sleepless nights when trouble nears
Of broken bones and both lost limbs

Of dying comrades in your care

My country, my land, my love
To you my life forever I trust
To serve, to give and to sacrifice

Like Jesus did on that cross for us

So sad is the plight of these fighters

Salary too small for all what matters
What then could be done to treat them

Like heroes nailed on the cross for their brethren

Gone are their spirits, died in horrible ways

Prayers and pity are not enough to appease
To heal the hurt, to tranquilize, to patch

To overcome the pain, to beat this grief so vast...

My husband was once a soldier, so this poem strikes a chord... His b-day will be in a few days :) The person who's always there for his family comes rain or shine. We're blessed esp. Michael :)