Friday, May 18, 2007

Souping IT Up the Dandelion Way

I'm a GOOD COOK, this according to J.C. :) What can you expect he is my son, you know, laughs. And the only cooking he grew up with is mine :> So, no wonder he loves my cooking :) I can concoct specialties that only in my book you'll be able to find, laughs. I like to cook stuffs in relation to its medicinal effects. Say for example a very delicious chicken soup mixed with greens and not only just any green. This recipe calls for that dandelion grass, those you see at the side streets or in the lawn with yellow flowers :) J.C. used to pick these blooms for me when he was just a toddler. Without anyone telling him, he comes running towards me then with these petals in his hand, he'll say "for you mom" :> Very nice boy, isn't he? Very sweet! But anyway this soup for the soul especially when you are bedridden with a cold comes very very handy here. I'm just feeling under the weather as of late, weather changes I supposed, so I needed this brew badly. Here are the ingredients, very simple, really:

1) 8 chicken drumsticks, cleaned and sliced
2) 3 medium carrots, sliced which ever you want it
3) 5 stalks of celery, sliced
4) a bunch of farm raised dandelion leaves, not those at the streets for they're dirty
5) 1 medium size onion
6) 1/2 garlic bunch, cleaned and smashed
7) ginger, fresh, sliced and diced, 1tsp
8) patis, vetsin, and pepper

In extra virgin olive oil, sautee no. 5, 6, and 7 ingredients. When the onion is transparent, add the chicken, cook for about 8 minutes, then after add 4 cans of chicken broth. Let it boil for 20 minutes. Then add no. 2, 3, 4, seasoned accordingly with no. 8 and voila! You'll have the best chicken soup in town :) Try it. You'll love it, I guarantee. No kidding. Then your sipon, ubo or whatever will be gone, plus plenty of rest and sleep of course...:) Free recipe from me, laughs. You'll be glad you cooked this meal, so what else are you still waiting for? :>